The ISSN International Centre is hiring a Back-end Developer / Administrator (m/f).
The ISSN International Centre (ISSN IC; www.issn.org) is an intergovernmental organization established in 1975 by a treaty between France and UNESCO. It is based in Paris (45 rue de Turbigo, 75003) and employs a staff of 13. It consists of three departments: Data, network and standards, Sales, marketing and communication, Information systems.
The ISSN IC cooperates with ISSN national centres located in 90 countries. The main activities of the ISSN IC (www.issn.org) are:
– Updating and enhancing the ISSN International Register, the standardized and international database of serial print and online publications,
– Coordinating the activities of the 90 ISSN national centres worldwide which share their bibliographic data with the ISSN IC,
– Assigning ISSN and creating descriptive data for international organisations’ publications and publications produced in countries without any ISSN national centre,
– Marketing and disseminating ISSN Data via the ISSN International Register (portal.issn.org) and related services such as ROAD Directory of Open Access Scholarly Resources (road.issn.org).
The Back-end Developer / Administrator will work within the Information systems Department and perform the following duties:
- Maintain and develop current and new applications part of the ISSN production and cataloguing tool, based on an ElasticSearch search engine and SQL database,
- Provide initial level of quality control testing for digital projects, as well as testing new and existing products for proper functionality,
- Take ownership and demonstrate initiative to identify and implement fixes and improvements,
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices,
- Suggest new features,
- Create user and technical documentation,
- Contribute to the administration and monitoring of the production server(s),
- Provide assistance to end users in a multinational environment,
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments.
This is an evolving role. The scope of the post, the responsibilities and main tasks will be reviewed and developed as required. A flexible and open approach is therefore expected of the postholder.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering, a Master’s degree would be an advantage,
- 3+ years of programming experience around ElasticSearch and SQL databases and one or more scripting languages (in particular Perl and Python),
- A knowledge of library formats (MARC, Dublin Core) and cataloguing issues will be an asset,
- Ability to review and amend existing code,
- Knowledge of Agile Project management practices,
- Proactive and effective problem solving, organizational skills and time management skills,
- Strong interpersonal and written/ oral communication skills,
- Team player,
- Fluent in English and French. Knowledge of a third language would be an asset.
Salary and status
– Salary commensurate with qualification and experience.
– International status.
– Full-time position.
– 2-year contract starting ideally November 2018.
Please send cover letter, résumé and the names and contact information of two professional references to Ms Gaëlle Béquet, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for applications is set to October 1st, 2018.
Staff shall be selected without any discrimination based on their ethnic or social origin, skin colour, disability, age, marital or parental status, gender or sexual orientation, or political, philosophical or religious beliefs.
ISSN International Centre – Staff Regulations (October 2016)